Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
One Must Be Careful
When the emptiness of time steals in...
Perhaps you've been sitting too long, doing nothing,
Except parading back through streets of dreams.
Dreams that did not come true, or were ignored.
Because bigger dreams would be answered if you just wished or prayed long and hard enough.
One must be careful, knocking on doors
Of the past, that cannot be opened for/to any
Best move on traveling the roads of today.
You might stumble, but so what...hills are there
To trudge up with all your strength, being sure not to look back.
The gardens of yesterday are beautiful in books of treasured memories.
We forget the work it took to make it so.
One must be careful, living too long in the past,
Allowing someone else to steal the possibility away
Of the promised happiness of today.
One must be careful, steadfast.
Watch the little creatures of nature, worth having,
Is worth stretching for, always looking ahead!
Dorothy Alves Holmes
A Poet Who Loves To Sing
Published February 08,2013
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Must Be Careful by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
- Train, Taylor Carlough
- Rain In Summer, Neela Nath
- Friendship is made by God, gajanan mishra
- Friend, JAMES T. ADAIR
- Isil: Our Planet needs Peace, Rachel Nichols
- You'll Never Know, Akhtar Jawad
- Resource less, hasmukh amathalal
- Teaching - A Satisfying Experience, Joseph T. Renaldi
- The Story of An Autumn Leaf, Rose Lu ( Bing Hua )
- Love Unfetterred, Zulfiqar Ali Bhatti
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Psalm of Life, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)