Delivered at an Odd-Fellows' Concert.
Some have formed strange conceptions about the mysteries of our order.
They believe that enshrouded 'mong the deep and mysterious
surroundings of our dark recesses and caves we have chained
'Gorgans and Hydras, and Chimeras dire,' and that in our mazes
A horrid goat we have to ride,
With long horns and shaggy hide,
And that the beast we have to stride well
Without saddle or a bridle.
Friends, with pleasure we do meet you,
And with hearty welcome greet you ;
With many we have met before,
So pleasantly in days of yore.
But some new faces we do find,
And hope they'll criticise us kind ;
Abroad for talent we don't roam,
But friends and neighbors here at home
Will give us now a splendid treat,
With speeches good and songs so sweet ;
And instruments whose soothing charms
Will banish cares and our alarms.
In friendly deeds they lead the van,
Both Oxford and Samaritan,
To relieve brothers in distress,
And bounteously the widows bless.
James McIntyre's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Opening Ode by James McIntyre )
- ten pm is..., Mandolyn ...
- How joyfully surprised you made me (cava.., Gert Strydom
- Obstacles, gajanan mishra
- When Autumn Comes Again, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- People conceive me (inside - outside poe.., Gert Strydom
- Let it go - time, gajanan mishra
- Last Act of Penance, Andy Caldwell
- Look At This City, Lenny Orlando Camacho
- (1) I Accept for Now, She Doesn't Love Me, Uriah Hamilton
- Versatility is a unique quality!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)