Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Talk happiness. The world is sad enough
Without your woes. No path is wholly rough;
Look for the places that are smooth and clear,
And speak of those, to rest the weary ear
Of Earth, so hurt by one continuous strain
Of human discontent and grief and pain.
Talk faith. The world is better off without
Your uttered ignorance and morbid doubt.
If you have faith in God, or man, or self,
Say so. If not, push back upon the shelf
Of silence all your thoughts, till faith shall come;
No one will grieve because your lips are dumb.
Talk health. The dreary, never-changing tale
Of mortal maladies is worn and stale.
You cannot charm, or interest, or please
By harping on that minor chord, disease.
Say you are well, or all is well with you,
And God shall hear your words and make them true.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Optimism by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- Alive, Mihaela Pirjol
- Poet Versus Members - Poem Hunters Rule .., Hardik Vaidya
- Push Aside, Seema Chowdhury
- Earthquake, friend and foe, Siu Lun Tsui
- Inner Callings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Spiritual Moments, Seema Chowdhury
- Promise of Spring, Seema Chowdhury
- Brunellus the Ass, Sidi J. Mahtrow
- Richness of Small Things, Seema Chowdhury
- My Coequal, Naveed Akram