Onwuasoanya FCC Jones
Our Nigeria Is Like No Other
Have you tried a traverse through the oceans?
Have you attempted an exploration of towns and cities?
Admirible are the beauties of the first world,
Enthralling is America,
With its flag full of stars
Flaunting a marvelous air of sunlight.
Yet, the most freedom is on the streets of Lagos;
Where a walk through Lekki, extends a life-span by half,
With nature endearingly close and generous in her offerings of freshness,
and a tranquility undefiled.
Enviable is the history of Rome,
Interesting are the antiquities of the old West,
With Cairo's crumbly castles, cast on our dear African soil.
Yet there are the statues of the Pharaoh Kings, whose innovations spurred the thirst for knowledge and gave the light of education.
Yet, Our Igboukwu arts and crafts stand tall amidst all;
A marvel of intelligence and ingenious creativity,
Our Nigeria is rivalled by none in its history,
Though our present be enmeshed in trials of bombs and blistering poverty,
We are stable in our resilience.
Though a brazen few may defer,
We are one!
Though diverse in tongues,
We speak Nigeria.
We do not want a washington or London,
Our Abuja in its lack is the best of all cities.
Ours is a nation like no other,
We certainly are not out of the woods yet,
We are not stuck in it,
America is their own, Nigeria is our own,
America is beautiful,
Europe is wonderful,
But Nigeria's beauty is incomparable!
Asia may have grown Tigers,
Africa's Tiger- Nigeria,
shall swallow them up!
Onwuasoanya FCC Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Nigeria Is Like No Other by Onwuasoanya FCC Jones )
- Oatmeal, Frank Avon
- Blackpool in a gale, sheena blackhall
- Tonight, Frank Avon
- To Eat, or Not to Eat, Frank Avon
- Hot Flashes, Mitzie Holstein
- Late and Soon, Frank Avon
- My Mermaid Muse, Erato
- A Zulu Kingdom, Margaret Alice Second
- Forever Purpurating Lavender, Stephen Warren Williams
- No Reason To Rush, Kewayne Wadley
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- An Enigma, Edgar Allan Poe
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- On Raglan Road, Patrick Kavanagh
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)