John McKay Withey
Pages Of History
Martin Luther King had a dream,
No more racism was his theme.
Gandhi, 'Father of the Nation',
His dream was poverty eradication.
Buddhist monks took a chance,
Against oppression made a stance.
Tanks filled Tiananmen Square,
Students with placards in despair.
Holocaust victims screamed with pain,
Auschwitz ruins still remain.
Hiroshima victims of A-bomb blast,
Children ran naked, faces aghast.
John F. Kennedy in his limo was shot,
Lee Harvey Oswald blamed for the plot.
John Lennon wrote'Give peace a chance',
His peace shattered by a gunman's stance.
Sri Lanka survived the Tsunami flood,
Homes and villages engulfed in mud.
Dafur and Ethiopia ravaged by drought,
Malnutrition and disease remove any doubt.
Poverty and pain over many long years,
But daily we live with the same old fears.
Have we learned nothing from victims tears,
As Armageddon beckons, we ignore wise sears.
John McKay Withey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Pages Of History by John McKay Withey )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Mother Culture's Lullbye - The Culling S.., Joseph DeMarco
- A Parody, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Prayer for the lost., David Lessard
- UGLY AGGRESSORS معتدون قبيحون, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- SANDY AND MUSHMISH (THEY USED TO BE MY L.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Scarecrow Not Quite Dissolving By Orange.., mary douglas
- WHO ARE WE? من نحن ؟, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- We Complain, Sandra Feldman
- Trapped Inside This Head Of Mine, david kush
- a light bulb flickers in my dreams, Mandolyn ...