Passed By - Acrostic Sonnet
As time drifts by Love’s tide flows coward, cold,
Slow beats sad heart, lost far from dreams once sought.
Too little lust, - blades rust, in cobwebs caught -
In time fires dim which once, in times of old,
Moved untamed ecstasy, flame bold.
Existence paled until encounter brought
Potency restored, fresh friendship taught
A focus fresh, let energies unfold.
Some dreams remain, most vain, in stranglehold
Spirit stifled, struggle not as thought
Experience leaves feelings dulled, distraught,
Dismisses soul from life's bright centrefold.
But chance encounter sets in timeless motion
Yen to advance, to share inspired emotion...
© Jonathan Robin – Acrostic Sonnet written 16 April 2005 as a variation of As Time Slips By – see below
As Time Slips By
As time sleeps by love’s tide grows sluggard, cold,
Slow beats the heart, forgetting dreams once sought.
Then, fragile, faith soon spins its cobwebs - caught
In Time’s equation web. Where once soul bold
Made untamed music, passion dims, short-sold.
Existence pales, stales, fails, - loves tales abort -
Sheds goals, gaols aims at joys ‘chance’ might have brought -
Little cares how life’s tale may unfold.
Inspiration slips as fears take hold,
Plaintive spirit sinks in shell, distraught,
Second hand experiences, thought,
Buy time, dismiss love from life's centrefold.
Yawning the abyss which, biding time,
will swallow every line and every rhyme.
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Passed By - Acrostic Sonnet by Jonathan ROBIN )
- "While drifting away..." / Bla.., Jeff Gangwer
- Teacher, Paul Sebastian
- A Wrenched Knee, Jeff Gangwer
- Leader, Paul Sebastian
- Gin Again, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Teardrops for flowers flow, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The witches teaparty, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The walking moon, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Dear soldior hero, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Breakfast with a ghost hero, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)