Walking slowly, slowly down
A dusty country road,
The shadows seem to grasp at me
And all around they spoke.
Lowly, lonely ghastly shadows
Grasp away my beating heart.
Walk on, walk on, the night grows old,
Brave heart, brave heart, 'tis but the light
That plays among the trees.
Shriek! - Suddenly my blood runs cold,
Shriek! - My heart, … no time to think,
My breath must fight to come at all,
My eyes have failed to blink.
A scream has split the shadows through
And pierced the night wind’s shrill.
From where could come such tragic sound,
From where or naught at all.
Straightforth outstept a farmer tall,
Who doffs his hat to me.
I see your frozen face does tell
That you have heard the call –
The love call of my pretty prize,
The glory of my state.
He stepped aside and there saw I –
Fake innocence and all –
A peacock spreading out his plumes,
Fitted out for another call.
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (.Peacock Solo by Adeline Foster )
- A. A. Anzarannii As An Indian English Po.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- From My List of Annoyances, Jeff Gangwer
- When A Flower Glooms, Eshan Gupta
- A Wealth, Like Truth, Jeff Gangwer
- "If I believed in your heaven...&qu.., Jeff Gangwer
- Resignation, Jeff Gangwer
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #7, Brian Johnston
- Why Did You, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Lost Shores, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- "Be careful...", Jeff Gangwer
Poem of the Day
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)