I heard a funny story the other day
about Penguins who nest close to the end of a runway.
Living on a small island that is all rock with no sand,
they are not use to seeing large planes come and land.
It's freezing cold, so turn their backs to the raging wind,
most huddle together whilst others prefer to swim.
In the distance, and through the falling snow,
a plane comes towards them and they watch it slowly grow.
With eyes fixed and beaks held high
they watch this apparition approach from the sky.
And when they look up, as it passes straight overhead,
they all fall over backwards as if suddenly shot dead.
Please note. No penguins were hurt in the making of this poem.
JJ Evendon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Penguins by JJ Evendon )
- 순천(순천) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘순천 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- My Grandfather's Sweater, Eric Ericson
- 순천 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙순천 ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 순천 ANMA¿０１０¿５９３３¿０４３７¿순천 ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- Limerick.26. Beware!, Valsa George
- 순천 ANMA MASSAJE 010 ５９４６ ０３７７순천(순천) ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 순천(순천) ANMA》０１０ ４８６７ ７５８２《순천(순천) ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 춘천 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●춘천 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 춘천(춘천) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘춘천 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 춘천 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙춘천 ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Success After Falls, Varun Silva
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
- Garrett Westcott
(3rd April 19sixty)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)