Poem at Year’s End...
Poem at Year’s End
In one sweeping, Spring Cleaning, at year’s end,
I gathered up all the year’s photos,
Letters and other mementos:
Placeholders for times spent with you.
I scoured all the closets, top shelves,
Dresser drawers, even pants pockets
I have not worn since.
Convinced, I found it all,
I threw them away in a Catharsis,
A ritualistic purge, in the way
Some might give all they own
When sensing death is near.
Then, I bathed, shaved
And lie down for bed.
Picking up my diary,
I opened to the last page:
And found, still, this bookmark you gave me
Along with this poem
I had written down about you.
12.31.7 John Tansey
Copyright ©2008 John Thomas Tansey
John Tansey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poem at Year’s End... by John Tansey )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- I'm Not Scared, Michael P. McParland
- I'm Not Fake, Michael P. McParland
- ANDHERA KITANA BHEE HO PHIR BHEE MUSKARA.., AVINASH PANDEY KHUSH
- I'm Me, Michael P. McParland
- I'm Lost, Michael P. McParland
- I'm Listening, Michael P. McParland
- ILYF Our Shared Symbol, Michael P. McParland
- I'll Prove To You Everyday, Michael P. McParland
- bhrashtachar par prahar, AVINASH PANDEY KHUSH
- Go from me love, Nero CaroZiv