I may be the first person to say this-
But...I needed 9/11.
That day that rocked me to my core
And made me step back in fear
Of the world...of the life I was living.
That day that knocked me to my knees
And opened my eyes.
That day changed me,
On every fundamental level there is.
Made me rearrange my priorities.
Made me realize I couldn't live in lies
If death was knocking on my door.
I started telling the truth then,
First to myself, then to anyone who would listen.
A stage and a mic and a spotlight
And feeling stark naked I would stand
And tell my truth, bare my soul.
And with every truth I told,
I found out who I was.
I didn't know any of those people
Who died that day
But I think about them all the time,
Think about how their deaths,
In a strange way...gave me life.
And I honor them for that.
Sandra Brennan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Pondering 9/11 by Sandra Brennan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Barbaric Veneer Layered History Of This .., Terence G. Craddock
- An Unreal World, Sandra Feldman
- Indifference Sows Consequences, Terence G. Craddock
- I am Instant, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Shake Loose my Skin, Angela Khristin Brown
- A World of Lies, Hebert Logerie
- Fenced In To Be Viewed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Eid 2014, mazHur Butt
- Going Mad, Is It Poetry
- My Tears Dry On Their Own, Mpho Tsakata