Pray For Inmates In Chains
Pray for inmates walking to court in chains
chains around their ankles they do feel pain.
How does this affect the human psyche?
Are we making them more like criminals
that want to fight?
Or does it make them feel good
make them feel understood?
Now I can see putting chains on
killers, rapists and the mentally insane- -
But to put in on the average person what does that gain?
I know they are afraid they will run and try to get out
There are steel doors, cameras with a doubt.
It’s not the Maslow’s law of being trained
it’s more like it wilts their spirits and leaves a stain.
I got out of my chains and still walked
like a helpless elephant with ankle pain.
From this demeaning jail time
most will come back doing a worse crime.
Or maybe commit suicide?
SQC Chevalier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Pray For Inmates In Chains by SQC Chevalier )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Rita Dove
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Going Ahead, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Bless You, Michael P. McParland
- Richard Doe, Adeosun Olamide
- The Most Important Part, Loyd C. Taylor
- Separate Paths, Lora Colon
- Dream Actualizers, Saiom Shriver
- Promise Me! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- 2015 is still ahead, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Those Who Long For Death, Saiom Shriver
- Babe, Saiom Shriver