Pray For Inmates In Chains
Pray for inmates walking to court in chains
chains around their ankles they do feel pain.
How does this affect the human psyche?
Are we making them more like criminals
that want to fight?
Or does it make them feel good
make them feel understood?
Now I can see putting chains on
killers, rapists and the mentally insane- -
But to put in on the average person what does that gain?
I know they are afraid they will run and try to get out
There are steel doors, cameras with a doubt.
It’s not the Maslow’s law of being trained
it’s more like it wilts their spirits and leaves a stain.
I got out of my chains and still walked
like a helpless elephant with ankle pain.
From this demeaning jail time
most will come back doing a worse crime.
Or maybe commit suicide?
SQC Chevalier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Pray For Inmates In Chains by SQC Chevalier )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- A Thirst, Udaya R. Tennakoon
- Unlimited Beauty, Enyinwa Okechukwu Enyinwa
- A Quarrel, Udaya R. Tennakoon
- Lighthouse by the Sea, Mary Bone
- Imagination's Gardens, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Betrayed, Vanessa Parodia
- meri zingagi ek kahaani bn gyi, dr.Neha gupta the POEMLOVER
- Nighttime Visions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A song of sadness, Vanessa Parodia
- Eternal Wanderlust, Leah Ayliffe