James Weldon Johnson
Prayer At Sunrise
O mighty, powerful, dark-dispelling sun,
Now thou art risen, and thy day begun.
How shrink the shrouding mists before thy face,
As up thou spring'st to thy diurnal race!
How darkness chases darkness to the west,
As shades of light on light rise radiant from thy crest!
For thee, great source of strength, emblem of might,
In hours of darkest gloom there is no night.
Thou shinest on though clouds hide thee from sight,
And through each break thou sendest down thy light.
O greater Maker of this Thy great sun,
Give me the strength this one day's race to run,
Fill me with light, fill me with sun-like strength,
Fill me with joy to rob the day its length.
Light from within, light that will outward shine,
Strength to make strong some weaker heart than mine,
Joy to make glad each soul that feels its touch;
Great Father of the sun, I ask this much.
James Weldon Johnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Prayer At Sunrise by James Weldon Johnson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 July 1849 – 19 November 1887)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 9 - 1937)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Let Me Die A Youngman's Death, Roger McGough
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Bologna: A Poem About Gold, James Arlington Wright
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- ETC3, shuvo chakraborty
- SONNET II, Sir Toby Moses
- Tamil on decline, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- A Life-Lesson, Luo Zhihai
- The Sunprincess, Akhtar Jawad
- Movement incidental, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Before Storm, Luo Zhihai
- Fate rules the outcome., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Cheap labor, Nassy Fesharaki
- Feed the ego, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.