I pushed out all of the light, made it go away, thinking that the light did me wrong. Sitting in the corner of the cold, dark prison, I enjoy the tears protruding from my eyes, my only release from the anger, hurt and sadness.
Why am I here, what did I do?
I’m offered the keys to leave, two keys, but I don’t want them, don’t want to get out, the prison has become me, I’ve slowly begun to convince myself that it is all that exists, and I can’t push myself over the cliff face of the flat world.
Others watch from outside my prison, crying for me, begging me to take their key, but their keys don’t fit the lock, only two do, and I don’t want to leave.
In time, the release doesn’t work any longer, I need something more, I know what I should do. I hold the knife in my shaky hand, I want to do it, but I don’t want that key, the one I know fits the lock, the one that ends everything…because that key doesn’t grant me my freedom.
The others come again, begging me to use their keys, but again, I know they don’t work. They grab the other key, the one I hadn’t reached for, and unlock the door, they grab me and pull me from my prison, and I half-heartedly resist, not sure what I want anymore.
They take me to the warden, the gatekeeper of the prison, and she looks me over with a heavy heart. She watches me out, gives me hope and rehabilitation. And ever since, the prison lurks just beneath my consciousness, threatening to take me back into its depths at any moment.
ally gunther's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Prison by ally gunther )
- Found in, hasmukh amathalal
- AAA, Vera Sidhwa
- Invention of The Store, douglas scotney
- AA, Vera Sidhwa
- Why Poet?, Sandra Feldman
- Man, Dilantha Gunawardana
- Kite, Dilantha Gunawardana
- A Middle-Aged First Kiss (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Misplaced Trust, Mr. Spock
- No Looking Back (A Follow-up Poem), Dr John Celes
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- XVII (I do not love you...), Pablo Neruda
- Woman Work, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)