Saiom Shriver (Ohio)
1 The vast majority feel a woman should not
have to go through a pregnancy caused by rape.
2. The vast majority feel a woman should not
have to go through a pregnancy caused by incest.
3. A majority feel a woman should not be
required to sacrifice her own life to bear a child,
e.g. a diagnosis of plausible placental abruption,
a condition in which the placenta breaks away from
the body before birth. In the resultant blood loss
many women have lost consciousness and died.
4. Children born to parents who don't want them
are more likely to be beaten, abused, neglected.
5. Women who have 10 or 11 children are never
free to pursue their own dreams. Their husbands
spend lives in work drudgery trying to support all.
6. Alcoholic women have children whose brains are smaller
because of alcohol's destruction of nerve tissues.
7. Women with AIDS or syphilis,
women beaten during pregnancy, have children
who start off their lives with physical injuries.
They are born with pool hall 8 balls inside of them.
8. There are signs of mental handicapping
in fetuses. There are anacephalic children
born with virtually no heads.. with froglike
9. It is the belief of many that aborted souls
come back to different parents or to the
same parents later.
10. The world has 7 billion people who down trees, shrink the rainforest,
destroy animal habitat and destabilize planetary weather, for wood houses, car
highways in countries whose governments do not support trains, for newspapers,
toilet paper etc.
11. Daughters of fundamentalist parents can
be beaten or shunned by those parents when
their pregnancy is discovered.
12. A majority of the world are neither
absolutist prolife nor absolutist prochoice.
A majority believe women have a right to
terminate a first trimester pregnancy.
A majority believe women should not
terminate a third trimester pregnancy.
13. Many women believe no government nor hospital
nor religious hierarchy of males should have sovereignty
over women's bodies.
14. A Manhattan friend went to a woman with the spiritual
gift of prophecy who charged nothing. The prophet had never
met the woman nor any of her friends, but said to her
'I see a soul has knocked on your door three times. The
fourth time you will let him in.' The client burst into
tears, for she had said nothing to anyone of her 3 abortions
and felt she was being told that she had not murdered a soul
but only delayed his entrance onto the world stage.
15. The churches, synagogues, mosques, governments which tell women it is a sin
to have an abortion are the very churches silent about
the partial birth abortions committed by bombs and drones
and missiles in illegal wars about which their leaders are silent..
16. Untold numbers of unwanted babies are thrown into dumpsters with or without
their umbilical cords to be crushed to death by machines after their births.
17. Marriages and families can be destroyed by a husband's
fathering a child with a woman not his wife.
Comments about this poem (Prolife, Prochoice by Saiom Shriver )
Top 500 Poems
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
William Ernest Henley
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings