Dr John Celes
Prompt Word Poem: Use Power Aright
Power is needed – a form of energy,
To do all things and live in luxury;
Power given to leaders helps them rule,
And run in life like a horse or a mule!
Power of mind is good to be steadfast,
To remember and do more things by will;
Muscle-power is good to show off strength,
Enthrall the world by feats, despite your skill.
Power of armies lies in bombs and guns,
And logistics and strategies hidden;
Power of God is awesome, infinite –
Goodness that rules the destiny of things!
Power in excess corrupts hearts of men,
Who stay in high authority and rule,
The common man and subjects like despots,
But are brought down by elections or war!
The power of life is in your very hands!
Use, misuse or abuse – you just decide;
Power can help you live a glorious life,
But use it prudently with fear of God!
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Prompt Word Poem: Use Power Aright by Dr John Celes )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
- The song of a bird - a translation of a .., Ravikumar C.P.
Poem of the Day
- Love Note 9, Michael P. McParland
- Lamentation of the Weak, Abby Bilan
- Love so unkempt..., Kenneth Maswabi
- morning conversation, oskar hansen
- Rescued, Ima Ryma
- Temptation of Xuanwu Lake, Luo Zhihai
- Ghazal: In Silence, Mimi Khalvati
- Awaiting for March, Rimni chakravarty
- Of Snowdrape On Winterscape..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Made Electric By The Moon, Is It Poetry