For thirty-three years as a poet
I merrily defined what beauty was.
Each time, without hesitation
I would declare: beauty is like this, or:
this is a betrayal of beauty.
I went crazy over several different kinds
of aesthetic theory.
But beauty was never
in those aesthetic theories.
I was falling asleep
with the light on.
What fear in the days gone by!
From now on I will strictly refrain
from any definitions of beauty!
As if beauty can ever be defined!
All through the weeks of summer rain
no flowers bloomed on the pumpkin creepers.
Now the rains are over
and at long long last a flower has bloomed,
inside it a bee is quivering,
outside it I am quivering.
Pumpkin flower brimming full of life:
you are true beauty!
Ko Un's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Pumpkin Flower by Ko Un )
- mere aansu mere daman me simat jaaye, Mohammad Sahil Raza
- Rolling Thunder Of An Iron Horse, Juan Olivarez
- Chuckle, shinej K.P
- The night is ending away for the reputat.., clawdea benat
- Terrorism, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- My Dear Mom,, Dr John Celes
- Busy Life Bugged as Dybbuk Jigged jeez!, Harindhar Reddy
- Day of the Dead, Nassy Fesharaki
- Bow to God for the Life You Bestowed, yow!, Harindhar Reddy
- Please come agan, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- November, Thomas Hood
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Would Live In Your Love, Sara Teasdale
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)