Have I been frozen out?
And have I grown in discontent
A purple violet
With a darkening portent:
Have I chasten my heart
To press forth roots…
And not break through the earth.
Not to flower in lowly offshoots.
Oh am I a man of carbon
Am I a broker of what can’t be spent?
Yet I have plenty of condominiums…
Empty of what I rent.
Will I have long enough?
To see what holds the floorboards up
What holds the ceilings aloft?
Oh will this purple violet…
Ever raise its head from its deathbed.
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Purple violet by Mark Heathcote )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Likimani, Edward Kofi Louis
- Unbridled Ambition, Sylvia Perry
- LOVE الحب, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- LOVING A STRANGER! !, Teboho petrus ntaita
- Days Golf, lee fones
- Maurice, Edward Kofi Louis
- Graffiti, Rosanna Warren
- From the Notebooks of Anne Verveine, Rosanna Warren
- Koffi II, Edward Kofi Louis
- A Way, Rosanna Warren