I should find a reason to get out of bed,
try my best to move my legs.
I should put clean clothes on,
but the washing machine is already full,
and I've forgotten
how to turn the damn thing on.
I don't think time has a place in me.
I should brush my hair
but know the brush will take offence.
I should feel something more, anything
but it's icy inside my soul
and I'm begining to like it that way.
I should forget like a child
upon the first day of school
but still it hurts me so.
I should find a way to pick the letters up
that have littered the floor,
but there will just be more tomorrow.
I should put a plaster on my cut
but it's funny for the first time,
I don't seem to have any.
I should find away to close this book
to stop and start again
but I can't find it in me to.
I should look for a way to say goodbye
and see things in light anew.
maria goodison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Reason by maria goodison )
- A Man's Oft-hidden Tears, Maurice Harris
- Contentment, Katherine Nordhaus
- The News Explained it to Me, Vera Sidhwa
- Diwali, Hans Raj Sharma
- One Nation Under God, Katherine Nordhaus
- the weather knows where i'll someday put.., Mandolyn ...
- Love Is, sallam yassin
- MY HEART SMILES TO YOU, john chizoba vincent
- When The Wind Blows, Tony Adah
- If I am just A Character, Felicia Manning
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)