A cold silence grips the field,
broken only by an occasional clank of armor,
yesterday the streets were cowded,
children at play,
the hammer fall and ashes billowing out shops.
Today lays fresh fallen snow and two fate armies,
suddenly masses grow tense.
the trumpets sound doom's sound.
Screech of steel and cries of men now grip the ears of the city beyond.
Women cringe, children cry, and animals search for safety. All in fear.
By the end of the day, the towns people emerge with a grinding whine.
The gates present two gifts, the first the shed of light and fresh air.
The later however presents the many corpses of battle, which dyes the snow red.
The many women and children weep for their loved joining the army,
but one stands out...
this family sheds no tear for the know of the noble cause,
their loved was a young farm hand,
he joined not for promise of wealth, land, or blood lust.
But to protect his child, and her mother.
Jacob Biehl's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Red Snow by Jacob Biehl )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- December 28th: Feast Of The Holy Innocents, Saiom Shriver
- End of the Year, Light Mark
- Let It Be on Monday, God, Donal Mahoney
- Rain, Devin Lasker
- Lyrics Lifted Aloft, Saiom Shriver
- Who Are They?, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Broken Marriage, Donal Mahoney
- New York City, Dawson Walter Smith
- I will turn my eyes from you, Nero CaroZiv
- In Concert Tonight, Donal Mahoney