by Ismim Putera
My father said,
'The time has come for you to 'bersunat''
Wearing a kain pelikat,
And he brought me to the nearby clinic.
The doctors and nurses were ready,
I was laid down on the couch, half-naked,
I was shivering in fear.
As they started to cut it,
I was in pain, my father said to me:
'mengucap, it will lessen the pain'
The whole procedure lasted almost one hour.
The pain came again, and this time it was worst,
Probably the effect of painkiller had worn off.
I endured the pain patiently until I fall asleep.
Every morning, my mother assisted me
In removing the plaster and bandage,
And change the dressing and apply cream over the wound.
I was forbidden from eating the black soy sauce ketchup,
As it can cause it to turn black.
I was not allowed to eat prawns as well,
As it can cause it to itch and difficult to scratch.
After one week the wound healed and I was able to ambulate.
During my father times,
They have to bath icy water early in the morning,
To make it numb and stiff,
Easier to be cut,
And less pain and bleeding,
The pain was the worst thing they ever felt in their childhood,
They would be rather being stung by hundred bees.
Tells them at the adulthood
Is not easy
Now I know the procedure was called circumcision,
As a religious rituals,
To prepare for adulthood
Nowadays they even use lasers to cut it,
With much more pain killers.
It not only removes the excess foreskin of the gland penis,
But removed excess immaturity and childish part of me.
Ismim Putera's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Removed by Ismim Putera )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(01 January 1950)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Nature, natalie dejesus
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Waves Within...., Umasree Raghunath
- Children of Peshawar! My heart bleeds fo.., Umasree Raghunath
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses
- Being Rich, Randy McClave
- Chief glory, gajanan mishra
- If I Get There, Luis Estable
- That Savor Is So, Luis Estable
- No One KnowsThe Pain I Feel, Luis Estable
- The Kentucky Hangnail, Randy McClave