Inchoate lily fronds, and tawny gloss
Splaying across a dim pond
While dilatorily he surveys himself,
In thought upon the water's rim.
Torpor-limbed, his face is half
A mask of shadoweeds that stem
And drape the cornered air. Still tendrils
Of light bask
Through foliaged emerald fins.
Echoes arouse a slim rush
Opaque of sound.
Yet what may we ask of him, this Narcissus?
Whose potted alabaster eyes
Confabulate shade through amber —
Whose frail heft of self sifts
In fissures of supple tented waves,
Their dark ventriloquy adrift...
I am eyes and stare alone, his
Yawning image seems to say.
And waterwed, he, as with the surface,
Preens and stays.
Yet admit no matte of ebbing moonlight.
No lush garland of earth fragrant from stars.
His vision, two ribbons of froth, floats
Splendid in sloth, ever unwinding
Over clay moraines and tin fjords that crumble
Like a lazy knee around him.
In this hour, slick of mud, where suns
Like a mustard seed, willows flay, where winds
Copulate spore and dander, he sees
Only communions of colors sexed
With wafting waterscents that are nothing else
No pure possession may be dredged.
No blur or sulphur iris but his own.
This ground is sparse, engorged
On crags and parched, blank
As if the hollowed rondure of
Adam Fitzgerald's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Resignations by Adam Fitzgerald )
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Auld Lang Syne, Robert Burns
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
Poem of the Day
- After, Suzy Jay
- I dream high, Juwon Daniel
- Miss Universe, herbert guitang
- Cr0S$ linked - PrE$$ jUsT pRinT$, sEaN nOrTh
- To my English teacher, Mariam de Haan
- A Prayer For You, Michael P. McParland
- Falsehood Of Man, Tony Adah
- Sunset, gajanan mishra
- Silent Spring, Bijay Kant Dubey
- This world, appiah japheth