Return To Padre
It was a million years ago,
We walked on the beach at Padre.
Scattering the sand crabs as we went,
And dodging the blue jellyfish,
That were everywhere.
Tossing bread up in the air,
To the ravenous seagulls,
That never got their fill.
Feeling the southeast blowing in,
Off the Gulf, we laughed.
We had no cares, all we knew,
Was that we were so young,
And so much in love.
That night we slept on the sand dunes,
With a fire to keep us warm.
Gazing up at the light from distant stars,
That had probably been dead,
For a million years.
We watched the lights on the shrimp boats,
As they came in for the night,
And left again in the hours,
Before the dawn.
We sat up and watched the glorious golden orb,
Rise in the east, as he has,
For time immemorial.
And we were happy.
Softly and gently I caressed your belly,
And said, 'good morning Johnny,
Your daddy loves you very much.'
Two months later he would arrive,
And when he was old enough,
He returned to Padre,
With wide eyes,
And already walking,
On his own two legs.
3/26/11 Alton Texas
Juan Olivarez's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Return To Padre by Juan Olivarez )
- Love is tolerance, Somanathan Iyer
- Flattered lives, Somanathan Iyer
- Live Paintings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Colorless Light, Sandra Feldman
- The ragged men of Indian English poetry, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Thoughts, nicholle gibson
- PH: Sin: The Wages Of Sin, Brian Johnston
- Ideals Envisioned, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- America Radicalized, Is It Poetry
- Just before Midnight, Frank Avon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)