Return to Strasshof
I get off the train where a sign greets me:
Welcome to Strasshof! I feel strange and
Curious, detraining unbounded on a sunny
Day of July in this suburb of Vienna
Where as a small boy during the war,
I was a prisoner.
The town is quite charming
But hardly anyone here knows
About the concentration camp.
Finally, an Albanian guest worker takes me
To the camp site. Hitler's lager was here,
The place is a tangle of shrubs
And woodland and the old guard tower
Rises in its middle.
I take pictures, when suddenly
A tall and furious man runs out of a house.
He gesticulates and yells,
Why I take photographs of this place?
History, because of history, I tell him.
Strasshof has a railway museum. However,
No memorial commemorates what happened
Here in the war years. Only the enduring
Silence speaks of the eroding remembrance:
The execution of memory.
Paul Hartal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Return to Strasshof by Paul Hartal )
- All Things Nice, Tania Montgomery
- Love is a Sad and Sorry Chameleon, Hebert Logerie
- Love Thru Poetic Passion, Sandra Feldman
- The Ocean's Gates, Brandt Nightingale
- Tribute to the King, Tania Montgomery
- Abyss, Donald R Charon
- Ode to the Busker, Tania Montgomery
- I have forgotten who I am, gajanan mishra
- Love is a liquid ~~~ vs.56, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- HE IS A MAN, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To Someone Special On PoemHunter, Electric Lady
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, Francis William Bourdillon
- Cleanliness and Happiness, chandra thiagarajan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ono no Komachi
(c. 825—c. 900))
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)