When the tide of the Thames is at a low,
Down to its beaches, the sand artists go.
They are working against Old Father Time:
For only a short while, their talents will shine.
They have with them their tools and a pail;
To impress passing crowds, they’ll never fail.
When they are working on their designs,
They pray that the weather will stay fine.
Their labours often attract quite a crowd;
Of their efforts, the artists feel proud.
Upon the beaches, their towels are laid:
For their efforts, they hope to get paid.
Designs can be simple or be quite complex,
But, by the rising tide, they’ll all be wrecked.
Upon their work, passing people peer down:
They may see a mermaid, a dragon, or clown.
The delicate sculptures, which they have created,
Will be overcome by the water and be saturated.
The fruits of their labours will be washed away,
But you know they’ll return the very next day.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sand Artists by Angela Wybrow )
- And We Came to Pass, Abdulrasaq Akingbo Okanlambe
- Praising a Poet, 'me' by a Co-Poet!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- My Dog Lays at My Feet, David McLansky
- The two I trust (sonnet), Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Owls or rats, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Jesus, God, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- माँ का सूरज कहीं खो गया, Aftab Alam
- Brother John, Colin Ian Jeffery
- पयादे से मात, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song 2, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(23 July 1823 - 26 November 1896)
Walter de la Mare
(1873 - 1958)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)