Lisa Ann Smallwood
just a little girl in her shorts
t-shirt and combat boots
she loved those boots..
running through the house
and out the back door
leaping off the porch
in a mad rush to her favorite place
she opens the gate
hair long curly and wild as she was
with a big huff sprawls out on the dirty ground
she takes a quick look
the mean one is not to be seen
here Momma Chicky.. come here
i got some lettuce grass for ya
hey there Miss Goldie
come on climb up in my lap
its safe he is behind the barn
I don't know how you chickens live with that mean old goose
a long goose neck comes up behind her and nuzzles her ear...
awww sweet Susie...
where is Jane...better yet where is Hannibal
there you are Jane.. I know I love you too
Im sorry that mean ole goose has to live here
then she hears a honk.
Hannibal has seen her.. she hears the thumpity thump of his feet..
sorry girls gotta go.. here he comes
she gets up runs to the gate
Hannibal on her heels
she thinks for a moment I will kick him
I got on my boots
she slams the chicken wire gate shut
stands there in defiance...
with her face right up to the gate
Hannibal just a honking
and sticks out her tongue
na na nana na you missed me again
with one fierce and quick motion
pow Hannibal pecked her smack on the forehead
Blood pours down her face
and a shrill ear piercing scream fills the air
she turns to run
and see's her Papa coming
and she told him...
go to the house he said sternly
before she made it she heard the gate slam
and mean ole Hannibal honk
one last honk..
Im sure they had goose for dinner soon after
as for the little girl.. well lets just say lesson learned
I still have that dent in my forehead
he took a plug of meat right out of me that day!
But he never got a chance to ruin my favorite place ever again!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Scars Memory by Lisa Ann Smallwood )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Michael P. McParland
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Christmas Day In the Workhouse, George Robert Sims
- The Tiger, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- the kingdom is born, ademola oluwabusayo
- Haiku(Christmas), Aftab Alam
- At a Wedding, Sir John Suckling
- Nostalgia, Lawrence Beck
- Evening Song, Sherwood Anderson
- Gentle Golden Light, Margaret Alice Second
- What is I want under the destinies ten.., Yuri Starostin
- Lonely Road, Alexander Onoja
- Happy Birthday Lord, Ron Baratono
- I Truly Do, Michael P. McParland