Felicia Dorothea Hemans
SUBLIME is thy prospect, thou proud-rolling Ocean,
And Fancy surveys thee with solemn delight;
When thy mountainous billows are wild in commotion,
And the tempest is roused by the spirits of night !
When the moon-beams thro' winter-clouds faintly appearing,
At intervals gleam on the dark-swelling wave;
And the mariner, dubious, now hoping, now fearing,
May hear the stern Genius of hurricanes rave !
But now, when thine anger has long been subsiding,
And the tempest has folded the might of its wing;
How clear is thy surface, in loveliness gliding,
For April has opened the portals of spring !
Now soft on thy bosom the orient is beaming,
And tremulous breezes are waving thy breast;
On thy mirror the clouds and the shadows are streaming,
And morning and glory the picture have drest !
No gale but the balmy Favonian is blowing,
In coral-caves resting, the winds are asleep;
And, rich in the sun-beam, yon pendants are glowing,
That tinge with their colours the silvery deep !
Yet smile or be dreadful, thou still-changing Ocean,
Tremendous or lovely, resistless or still;
I view thee adoring, with hallow'd emotion,
The Power that can hush or arouse thee at will !
Felicia Dorothea Hemans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sea Piece by Felicia Dorothea Hemans )
- Cuckold's Plea, Donal Mahoney
- Thrilling night, Sneha Celine
- Love Is Not A Feeling, Margaret Alice Second
- a symphony, Cee Bea
- one shouldn't, Neelapu Suresh
- Spring Wood, Knutsford: my place of play, Mark Heathcote
- Mrs. Ullrick, Akhtar Jawad
- See the Beauty of Heaven, Aftab Alam
- Changes after being In love, Sneha Celine
- The Tailor's Daughter - III (The Underw.., Chris Zachariou
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(9 February 1874 – 12 May 1925)