Cicely Fox Smith
Seeing The World
'Where I was born an' r'ared,' said Clancy,
'There was pigs an' cows an' such,' said he,
'House an' farm if I'd cared,' said Clancy,
'They'd all have come to me.
An' if I'd stayed there,' said Clancy,
'If I was there now,' said he,
'I'd have moss instead of hair,' said Clancy,
'An' roots the same as an ould tree.'
'Where I spent my young years,' said Clancy,
'There was lasses two or three,
Fit to give their ears,' said Clancy,
'To go to church along o' me.
An' if I'd took a wife,' said Clancy,
'An' if she'd proved a scold,' said he,
'Twould have been a dog's life,' said Clancy,
'So I'd just as well be free.'
'But when I've seen the world,' said Clancy,
'An' all there is in it,' said he,
'An' my last sail's furled,' said Clancy,
'An' I'm tired of goin' to sea,
I'll maybe go an' settle down there,
An' raise pigs an' cows,' said he,
'An' see if there's a girl in town there
Waitin' all this time for me.'
Cicely Fox Smith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Seeing The World by Cicely Fox Smith )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Uncle Trevor's Justice to Travis, rohan bendre
- The Second Birth Of Tragedy, Leila Samarrai
- Y/.. A Restfull Mind, Aufie Zophy
- My bodyguard, Rob Spiering
- Green Shades Create a Meaning, Rohit Sapra
- Country Inn, Dr. Yogesh Sharma
- Mysterious guest., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- If You Could, Brian J. Stafford
- Melancholy of a dreamer, Jonathan De Vocht
- The snow makes me happy., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..