We're walking together, there's a mention of weather,
But the subject quickly changes to 'Why';
And while we are walking, I'm doing all the talking,
Desperately trying to coax a reply
Why do you allow killing, and Why are you willing
To see your children in despair?
Why are we so greedy, ignoring the needy,
But the 'Whys' dissipate into air
I arrive at the altar, and it's here that I falter,
What words do I use to implore?
I hesitate and fumble, I stutter, then mumble,
Why won't He open the door?
And there was no meeting, not even a greeting,
Again, to defeat I succumb;
No matter my craving, my soul's not worth saving,
The enlightenment just doesn't come!
Then I go to the seashore, looking for recourse,
Could the sand be holding a clue?
And it runs through my fingers, (the memory still lingers) ,
But I can't say I learned something new
I head for the mountain to drink from the Fountain,
Trying to figure out who I am;
But I leave with my sorrow - I may return tomorrow,
But today, I just don't give a damn!
Many times I've said it and I'll probably regret it,
Some night when the guilt's running high;
And once again we'll go walking, but I won't be talking,
I just do what I must to get by
But what can I say now, I'm walking away now,
The river has started to freeze;
I head back to my cave, which becomes my grave,
And my solitude turns into peace
Lora Colon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Seeking Enlightenment by Lora Colon )
Did you read them?
- This Is Our Mega City, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.55, Monk E. Biz
- Global Village, Bijay Kant Dubey
- PRETTY GOOD START.., ging taping
- Draw me in your heart, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- The thirst is a thorn., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Simple toys, hasmukh amathalal
- Acquaintance across the gender, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Begining of my love, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- What is all truth, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)