From all of the colors, which ones will I
Use to paint my likeness, my self portrait~
The colors of kindness, of loyalty,
The colors of forgiveness, of great love,
Or, will I paint in self indulgent shades?
From which of my most pronounced attributes
Will character evolve as true likeness?
Will my pose be dark or cheery, a face
Transparent or concealed behind deceit?
Does it matter which colors will be used?
Within the framework of my humanness,
There exists traits, both the good and the bad,
Some highlighted by notoriety
Some hidden, like secrets in a diary,
Waiting, praying that they’ve been forgiven.
A book by its cover, I should not judge.
Yet, why then do I, with my self portraits
Discard some images as unworthy?
Am I ashamed to face mirror’s disgrace,
Deny the extent of my vanity?
I peruse the contents of bo34oks, so too,
The illustrations and ask of myself,
Is there a price to pay in the painting
Of a self portrait? And, if there is, what price
Need I pay to paint each and every day?
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Self Portrait by Jackie Allen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Forgive Me?, Michael P. McParland
- The Hermit, David Lessard
- Forever Yours, Michael P. McParland
- Colors of Our Love, Saliah Jabbar
- Forever Hope, Michael P. McParland
- Many Mornings Before Sunrise, M.J. Lemon
- For You, Michael P. McParland
- For Now (Know I Miss You), Michael P. McParland
- Footsteps, Michael P. McParland
- Flowing Red River, Michael P. McParland