Seven Ages Of Woman
With Apologies to William Shakespeare
All the world's a stage
And all the Girls and Ladies merely players
They come on stage perform - and then go off stage (still performing) .
And each Woman in her time plays many many many parts!
Her main acts are in seven stages - seven ages
At first the infant - gooing and cooing - in her Mother's arms.
Then the excitable pre-teen with her braces and Barbie!
Giggling - playing peek-a-boo with all her frilly friends.
Skipping off to school - oblivious of the future.
Then the teenager - all spots, angst and hormones!
Then - suddenly the Lover - sighing and moaning
Delighting in her Amours hugs and kisses X X X X X
Then the stenographer - stuck in an office routine.
Credit cards - debit cards - slave to the internet.
Fantasing each Friday about Val Hallah 'Le Weekend'
Come day - go day wishin' each day could be Sunday!
Then the Bride - Toujour en Blanc - naturellement
The Groom - an item in the entourage - naturellement!
Then without training or undue preparation - The MOTHER
Pregnancy - promise of perfection - new eternal life!
(Well it does seem to go on forever - and ever - and ever) .
Then woosh! With blood & tears from womb to world.
The first baby is a miracle - never to be repeated - so perfect
Growing - child - growing - teen - growing - then - GOING!
The 'Empty Nest' The sixth age - freeage after bondage
Time - money - freedom - relaxation - the Beauty Parlour
The Health Spa - lunches with the Girls - flirtations!
Space - fun - travel the world - enjoy enjoy enjoy.
The suddenly without warning or flashing lights
The final age begins! Gravity sets in the figure gets out
Memory takes it leave - Mobility now needs a scooter
We become as dependent as children - dependent on our children!
Sans dents - sans yeux - sans goutent - sans TOUT!
John Knight's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Seven Ages Of Woman by John Knight )
- a test, Cee Bea
- Zebra And Foal, Denis Martindale
- Financial Advantage, Margaret Alice Second
- for her, Cee Bea
- American Rule Of Law, Is It Poetry
- Swachh Bharat, Prabhakar Subramaniam
- Appetite, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Pighalna Hai Agar Jalna Hai, Yashvardhan Goel
- The Sun Doesn't Rise, Saiom Shriver
- Patterns are Different, Rohit Sapra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)