Glen Martin Fitch
SHE SAID 'SAVE YOURSELF'
if you mean save my mortal soul
(before the pass/fail test
when I decay
for pre-paid bliss)
or face the heated hole,
I'll run the risk-
I won't play.
Or do you mean
I ought to hoard my goods to barter
in the market of the tough?
Or how I should survive
the world of shoulds?
there never is enough.
Or do you mean
I ought to bide my time,
as if I am a resource to conserve,
for all too soon
I will be past my prime?
(I doubt if I am worthy
Do I need rescuing?
It's plain to see
that no one's saving me,
my friend, but me.
Glen Martin Fitch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (SHE SAID 'SAVE YOURSELF' by Glen Martin Fitch )
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(c. 600 BCE)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Whatever The Outcome, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I'm Scared Without You, Michael P. McParland
- Stars, Jordan Myrie
- farewell; to the lost love, ademola oluwabusayo
- I'll Always, Michael P. McParland
- Have Faith, Michael P. McParland
- Grace Me, Michael P. McParland
- farewell 'to the winter solders that los.., ademola oluwabusayo
- Soul, Jordan Myrie
- Goodnight Prayer(For You), Michael P. McParland