Since my first memories I had a thing for shells,
you can call it a fascination.
I had never seen the sea
but I knew about shells.
My grandmother had a figurine made from mussel shells
I loved the pearly-blue shimmers on its inside.
There was a small bowl of shells
in the dark bathroom
but in candlelight
those shells glistened
as if caught in a moonbeam
and I wanted them all for myself.
I was in my teens when I first saw the sea
with shells rushing out of the waves
and I love those small things
more than words can say.
Everybody knew of my captivation with sea shells
and friends and family would bring me back some shells
on returning from their holidays at the sea side.
Today my house is filled with bowls full of shells
and to me they are precious.
The best ones are those that you pick up yourself
and they are a wonder
of God’s infinite array of splendour
and reflects the vastness of His diversity.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shells by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- When your Birthday Falls on Christmas..., Dr John Celes
- Me, Myself, Tex T Sarnie
- For to Be A Poetess, I Left My Husband, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- बैसागु, Ronjoy Brahma
- Chassis, Alice Cordy
- My Time On The Mountain, Orlando Belo
- A Degree of Intensity, Daniel Brick
- Oh, This Age of Self-propaganda And Publ.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- हारिनि इयुना जोँनि आखायावनो, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Honey Bee, Paul Sebastian