Men have to be well under 5'8'
to be considered short.
I know. I'm 5'8' and I look down
on everyone else.
All the other men in my family
were tall,6' or taller:
I grew up assuming that I
was just as tall as they.
It worked. I've been tall
ever since. Some Hollywood stars,
the article proclaimed,
are shorter than you think.
Why, Tom Cruise and Sylvester Stallone
are only 5'7'. And Robert Downey, Jr.
only 5'9'. So? Who declared they're
short? Let him stand against them.
Tall is in you mind.
Ask any pygmy chief.
Tall is what you are
when you hold your head up high.
Dark and handsome?
Maybe not. Doesn't matter.
But tall? Oh yeah,
on your feet, you're tall!
Frank Avon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shorty by Frank Avon )
Did you read them?
- Ephemera, Ian Nicholas McDowell
- Seeing light in Darkness, Aziz Akrish
- Mother! will I not be the saffron spot o.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- A Virtual Life, Sandra Feldman
- Never Ending Dreams, Lilly Emery
- My Soul's Song, Matthew Densley
- No love, Barbara Dixion
- Music Is Life, Ray Hansell
- S. Truett Cathy - A Memoriam Poem, Bill Grace
- Take My Heart, Ray Hansell
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)