There’s this old windmill I pass every day on County Road 8.
Its blades are all bent and rusted in place.
Yet it seems so majestic with its overcoat of vines.
I’m sure if it could talk, it would talk of simpler times.
Fairly close to my observation but somewhat hidden
in the weeds, sits an old forgotten John Deere tractor
with no rubber on its feet. Its bones still strong and holding
firm to the plow that drew the lines. I’m sure if it could talk,
it would talk of simpler times.
I pass this way most every day and never give
it any thought. But lately I’ve been prone to
wonder, who drove that tractor, who sewed the crops?
I envy such a life where the world moved at a slower
pace, and people sat on front porch swings not
concerned about the race.
Running north to south as far as I can see,
stands a row of cedar fence posts, some hell
bent on pointing east. No common thread connects
them as it did in years gone by. I’m sure if they could
talk, they would talk of simpler times.
Just like a piece of art that takes time to understand,
I’ve grown to love that viney windmill, and shoeless tractor
on fenceless land. And even though my friends can’t
talk they speak to me each day and take me back
to simpler times as I hurry on my way.
Alexander Beebe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Simpler Times by Alexander Beebe )
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
- Contemporary-time Indian English Poets A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Importance of compassion, gajanan mishra
- A Flower Which Dreams, Rohit Sapra
- Ways of Being Me, Rohit Sapra
- Disappearing Wings, Prasad Natarajan
- One who is against truth, gajanan mishra
- The Rain Falls On The Hill Above, Dennis Lange
- A Mirror, Margaret Alice Second
- Corners Of The Mouth, Saiom Shriver
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow