smiling and driving
someone called me something despicable
and then someone showed me his finger
and then someone glared at me
and then someone yelled something unpleasant
and then someone exploded into a ball of rage
and then someone kept honking profanities
and all i did was smile at them.
i had a silly smile on my face.
and everything they said
and everything they did
and lost their barbs and lost their sting
and lost their heat and lost their daggers
and lost their way and lost their relevance.
because when i smiled,
i disallowed them the pleasure to hurt me.
insults become insults
only if i open the door and let them in.
as long as i keep the door closed,
and keep my smile going,
insults are nothing but useless sound energy.
keep smiling. enjoy driving.
prathap suthan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (smiling and driving by prathap suthan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(01 January 1950)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I am mad with Love, Mirabai
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Swachh Bharat, Swasth Bharat (Bharathiya), Dr John Celes
Poem of the Day
- When your Birthday Falls on Christmas..., Dr John Celes
- Me, Myself, Tex T Sarnie
- For to Be A Poetess, I Left My Husband, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- बैसागु, Ronjoy Brahma
- Chassis, Alice Cordy
- My Time On The Mountain, Orlando Belo
- A Degree of Intensity, Daniel Brick
- Oh, This Age of Self-propaganda And Publ.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- हारिनि इयुना जोँनि आखायावनो, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Honey Bee, Paul Sebastian