Some Mother's Young Daughter
In the quiet alleyway in the dim moonlight
Some mother's young daughter she died over-night
From a drug overdose friendless and alone
Found in a disused factory doorway cold and lifeless as a stone.
She was only nineteen so young for one to die
When the cold winds of Winter blew across the darkened sky
With hardly any shelter to shield her from the cold
Some are born to die young some die gray and old.
Some broken hearted mother is in tears today
For her beautiful daughter who died in such a tragic way
The baby she gave birth to who suckled from her breast
'Tis not her fault she died in this way for her she did her best.
Some mother's young daughter in a morgue today
In a disused factory doorway she died where she lay
Life for her may have been different had she not kept bad company
But easily said on hindsight how things might have been for such as she.
Some mother's young daughter is beyond all care
With the gleam of youth still in her golden hair
In a dimly lit alleyway in the cold night air
She did not return from the brink of despair.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Some Mother's Young Daughter by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- 69op-com, 69OP.COM 69OP.COM
- maybe i need you, but don't really need .., Mandolyn ...
- God, Varun Sivashankar
- The Image of an Evergreen Tree, Hanh Chau
- Sign of love, Tiku akp
- What This Is (short), Nika McGuin
- You should know, Hanh Chau
- Me & Them, Nika McGuin
- Every Year, Nika McGuin
- A Developing Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- A Thanksgiving Wish To You My Love, Thad Wilk
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1886 - 1967)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)