I am in need of music that would flow
Over my fretful, feeling finger-tips,
Over my bitter-tainted, trembling lips,
With melody, deep, clear, and liquid-slow.
Oh, for the healing swaying, old and low,
Of some song sung to rest the tired dead,
A song to fall like water on my head,
And over quivering limbs, dream flushed to glow!
There is a magic made by melody:
A spell of rest, and quiet breath, and cool
Heart, that sinks through fading colors deep
To the subaqueous stillness of the sea,
And floats forever in a moon-green pool,
Held in the arms of rhythm and of sleep.
Elizabeth Bishop's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sonnet by Elizabeth Bishop )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Whispers, Mihaela Pirjol
- For Your Family Pride, Are You Going To .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Tears of A Woman, Who Can Underatnd .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love Is A Groovy Thing, Electric Lady
- I Think, tallulah montegue
- Fill Free, Teye Wayoe Ebenezer
- The Unabridged Treaty, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Fron(t) s, Leylek D. Sovura
- Ode to the Old and Tired, tallulah montegue
- What Sort of Judges Are They Who Conside.., Bijay Kant Dubey