Dr John Celes
Sonnet: U’Khand Ravaged
The land that once was famous for worship
Has few villages, houses and inmates,
Now steeped in misery and great hardship,
As rain and flood-waters slowly abates!
A giant cloud-burst changed the mountain-sides,
As flood swept buildings, roads and people down,
And thousands got buried under landslides
Of mud and boulders, corpses still unkown!
Once-vibrant land in ruins now remains!
What wrath of God has come upon this place?
What Nature’s fury got unleashed by rains!
When will the smile return to this old face?
Have mercy God on human beings, Oh!
The Maker does some things you never know.
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Sonnet: U’Khand Ravaged by Dr John Celes )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
- Mark Strand
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Twelve Christmas Angels, Loyd C. Taylor
- When I am able to do what I like عندما ا.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- At Poemhunter, Khairul Ahsan
- Within My Dreams, Michael P. McParland
- In their ears, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- بےچینی تمھارے بنا, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- Fear of Falling, Sierra Staten
- The Story That Doesn't End, Sierra Staten
- Combined Simple Aspect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Person and Personality, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK