Going around in circles,
beneath my eyes are bluish black,
there's nothing new,
no one I wanna talk to.
Nothing I wanna think about,
I got soul doubt.
I stick my head out the window,
Instead of air, I get glass stuck to my head.
The city's sounding
And I can't seem to stop the pounding.
Can't keep my thoughts from flying around.
Not sure what I'm thinking about.
I got soul doubt.
A shameless display,
wearing a smile full of pain.
A frameless Erte,
a painting without a signiture.
She's waiting for someone to save her.
As I pass her I see Cinderella.
She doesn't fit the slipper.
Like she fits a bottle of liquor.
There's no one to take her way.
Her eyes meet mine, she sees right through me.
The question is asked, what you gonna do for me?
I don't want nothin, just a connection.
I gotta know what she's all about cuz I know she's been there.
I stick my head out the window again,
this time seeing a thousand faces all too clear.
They wear the same expression I've seen in my face.
So many times, I know exactly how they feel.
I know exactly what they think about.
They've got soul doubt.
Valerie Chase's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Soul Doubt by Valerie Chase )
- Back From Vacation, John Updike
- Epistle from Esopus to Maria, Robert Burns
- Relatives, John Updike
- Saying Goodbye to Very Young Children, John Updike
- In Extremis, John Updike
- Earth's Period, Arno Le Roux
- Details on attack, Nassy Fesharaki
- Epigram—Thanks for a National Victory, Robert Burns
- Dog's Death, John Updike
- Verses on a Parting Kiss, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1924 - 2000)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)