Going around in circles,
beneath my eyes are bluish black,
there's nothing new,
no one I wanna talk to.
Nothing I wanna think about,
I got soul doubt.
I stick my head out the window,
Instead of air, I get glass stuck to my head.
The city's sounding
And I can't seem to stop the pounding.
Can't keep my thoughts from flying around.
Not sure what I'm thinking about.
I got soul doubt.
A shameless display,
wearing a smile full of pain.
A frameless Erte,
a painting without a signiture.
She's waiting for someone to save her.
As I pass her I see Cinderella.
She doesn't fit the slipper.
Like she fits a bottle of liquor.
There's no one to take her way.
Her eyes meet mine, she sees right through me.
The question is asked, what you gonna do for me?
I don't want nothin, just a connection.
I gotta know what she's all about cuz I know she's been there.
I stick my head out the window again,
this time seeing a thousand faces all too clear.
They wear the same expression I've seen in my face.
So many times, I know exactly how they feel.
I know exactly what they think about.
They've got soul doubt.
Valerie Chase's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Soul Doubt by Valerie Chase )
- September Rain, Musfiq us shaleheen
- Elusive Is Zen, Tad Russell
- Analogy, Angela K Brown
- Anxiety, Angela K Brown
- Searching for Truth, Angela K Brown
- Lesbians, Angela K Brown
- Blood Runs Deep, Angela K Brown
- Innocence, Angela K Brown
- A Hole That Can't Be Filled, Jon Janson
- A Wilted Rose, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)