Southern Hospitality In Years Gone By? ..... [serious AND silly; RACIAL PREJUDICE; SHORT; a cautionary tale]
When I microwaved my FRIEND, it brought me to tears;
it also brought to me a sentence of ten hard years.
I would have gotten more time in the slammer, but....
I'm white, he was black, ....and we lived in Alabama.
No offense I mean to any members of another 'race'.
[That's just a cautionary message, to save my 'face'.]
If HE had microwaved ME, the tables would've been turned;
I'd have become a saint to the Klan, and he'd have been burned.
This silly AND serious, and totally made-up, tale....
was started in my head by a note from a PH gal.
'Mandolyn' is also silly. I had asked her if she had any other friend.
'Are they ok to put in the microwave? ' was the note she did send.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Southern Hospitality In Years Gone By? ..... [serious AND silly; RACIAL PREJUDICE; SHORT; a cautionary tale] by Bri Edwards )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
Poem of the Day
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies
- I Live, Tanja Henderson
- This year, maryline vautravers
- Friends, maryline vautravers
- Cuba…..God's Betrayal……….Perhaps, James B. Earley
- Poetic-Spectator*, Tushar Ray
- True Love Never Dies, lou parks
- Untitled VII, Sierra Staten
- The unblamenesses allay wounds, Pijush Biswas
- I Move, So I Am, Tanja Henderson