Carlos Drummond de Andrade
Souvenir Of The Ancient World
Clara strolled in the garden
with the children.
The sky was green
over the grass,
the water was golden
under the bridges,
other elements were blue
and rose and orange.
A policeman smiled,
a girl stepped onto the lawn
to catch a bird,
the whole world...Germany, China
all was quiet around Clara.
The children looked at the sky:
it was not forbidden.
Mouth, nose, eyes were open.
There was no danger,
what Clara feared were the flu,
the heat, the insects.
Clara feared missing
the eleven o'clock trolley.
She waited for letters slow to arrive;
she couldn't always wear a new dress.
But she strolled in the garden,
in the morning!
They had gardens,
they had mornings in those days!
Carlos Drummond de Andrade's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Souvenir Of The Ancient World by Carlos Drummond de Andrade )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Resolution, Alex Adeoye
- The way of the champion, Alex Adeoye
- Judging A Woman, Randy McClave
- Water and Ink, Carly Hagerty
- feel IT in the hair,, george albot
- Battles above, and Battles below, Lilly Emery
- Philosophy, Nassy Fesharaki
- GOD'S BLESSINGS, Tom Zart
- Emptiness needed, Nalini Chaturvedi
- THE CRIMINALIZING OF LAETRILE, Richard Thripp