STILL SINGING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
We still sing the national anthem
On national days for national reasons
With detached intellectual abstraction
We remember the struggles of our forbears:
Ho! How they fought and died bravely!
On those big days we sit indifferently;
The poor down here the rich up there
As we reminiscence that distant history
Mangy dogs hungrily sniff the poor bottoms
Well, its their way of building the nation………..
When it gets too hot drinks are served
Soda and bottled water for ‘wenyenchi’
‘chang’aa’ and ‘busaa’ for wananchi
The opposing camps is a sight to behold
Especially when pretence is highest.
Speeches at times get a little boring
Especially when the speaker knows not about them
And the hearer cannot fathom the language used.
A latecomer in the fight for freedom
Is dog-handled to break the monotony!
We still sing our national song these days
And yet, we know not what it tells us to do.
Nobody cares about its message anymore.
Where are they those who have been chosen
And called the sons and daughters of our country?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (STILL SINGING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM by kelvin karani )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Christ: The Light Of The World, Denis Martindale
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Those Ignorant Steps, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Pen Me Passion, Shania K. Younce
- Curiosity's Appetite, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Why Do Bad Things happen to good people?, Shania K. Younce
- Kira My Love, Michael P. McParland
- Full Understanding, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Devil Does Find My Need, Adeosun Olamide
- Peterborough Cry, Moses Samandar
- Take Care, Milady, Lawrence Beck
- Topics And Themes, Lawrence S. Pertillar