* Strength Of Purpose
Just another day, with warm sunshine bright.
Then frenzied winds blow wildly all the night.
Tossing bins, smashing cars against brick walls.
Hurling benches, lamp posts, frail market stalls.
With great strength of purpose it speeds along.
Lifting up roof tiles with arms that are strong.
Advancing, determined to do its worst,
Like a mad, angry monster, cruel and cursed.
Bringing such fear, when crashing through the streets,
Battling harshly with everything it meets.
Nothing escapes its cunning devilry,
Summed up in all this weird revelry.
Devastation laid out, a painful sight,
Such destruction from its powerful might.
Rain has taken over showing its skills,
Houses fill with water, above doorsills.
Rivers rise over banks flooding the land,
Nature at war, how can we understand.
But when in time the storm throws off its rage,
And calms down after its brutal rampage.
Peacefulness descends, such a relief,
After all its contemptible mischief.
Just another day’s beginning to dawn,
Waters recede, a restful day is born.
Ernestine Northover's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (* Strength Of Purpose by Ernestine Northover )
- Moments That Never Were, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- TREASURE ISLAND: Overall Statistics, Frank Avon
- Poet's mind, hasmukh amathalal
- Senses Flavorful Sounds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Behind everything, SALINI NAIR
- Fall Leaves, Leonard Dabydeen
- Rinsed Clean, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Creating Photos, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If I Should Die Some Tuesday..., Frank Avon
- Transformed womaniser, Kwalo Voro
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 1861, Walt Whitman
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)