* Strength Of Purpose
Just another day, with warm sunshine bright.
Then frenzied winds blow wildly all the night.
Tossing bins, smashing cars against brick walls.
Hurling benches, lamp posts, frail market stalls.
With great strength of purpose it speeds along.
Lifting up roof tiles with arms that are strong.
Advancing, determined to do its worst,
Like a mad, angry monster, cruel and cursed.
Bringing such fear, when crashing through the streets,
Battling harshly with everything it meets.
Nothing escapes its cunning devilry,
Summed up in all this weird revelry.
Devastation laid out, a painful sight,
Such destruction from its powerful might.
Rain has taken over showing its skills,
Houses fill with water, above doorsills.
Rivers rise over banks flooding the land,
Nature at war, how can we understand.
But when in time the storm throws off its rage,
And calms down after its brutal rampage.
Peacefulness descends, such a relief,
After all its contemptible mischief.
Just another day’s beginning to dawn,
Waters recede, a restful day is born.
Ernestine Northover's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (* Strength Of Purpose by Ernestine Northover )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Love Note 17, Michael P. McParland
- Osho, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Many Third-Classers, Bijay Kant Dubey
- As A Man, I Hate The Fanatic The Most, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Bapu, In Your Memory, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Mirth of William, James Merchant
- -Untitled- (2), Morgan Siegel
- The Short Ballad of Egg Boy, James Merchant
- Logic in Life, Jayatissa Liyanage
- - Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.