sub divided me
for long I have been told.
nay, fed and fattened on a cliché.
divided we fall. united we stand.
but then, divided we are standing.
divided we are breathing.
we haven’t keeled over.
india isn’t struggling.
we are alive and kicking butt.
i am divided by my gender.
by my religion. by my nationality.
by my mother-tongue. by my skin.
by my caste. by my sub-caste.
by my non-vegetarianism. by my cooking oil.
by my smoking. by my filter.
by my profession. by my department.
by my ideas. by my experience.
by my airline. by my hotel floor.
by my impulsiveness. by my patience.
by my likes. by my dislikes.
by my cologne. by my beard.
by my fatherhood. by my marital status.
by my passport. by my pan card.
by my shortness. by my curly hair.
by my music. by my fm station.
by my social networking. by my status messages.
by my ailments. by my medicines.
by my paunch. by my alcohol.
by my television viewing habits.
by my sports. by my sorrows. by my tax returns.
by my education. by my reading habits.
by my newspaper. by my magazines.
by my myopia. by my lenses.
by my snoring. by my sleeping posture.
by my loans. by my wheels.
by my thirst. and even by my coffee.
in fact tomorrow I will be divided again.
by some exotic media planner.
or an inventive niche marketer.
or by a clever little brand.
i am nothing but a great body of division.
i am a macrocosm of microcosms.
and so are you.
we stand divided to microns.
but we still haven’t fallen.
we stand stronger than ever.
we are multiplied by division.
prathap suthan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (sub divided me by prathap suthan )
- Versatility is a unique quality!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Paper slip, hasmukh amathalal
- SHADES OF LOVE, sherif monem
- A Shoulder to Weep, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Help me I am here, Dustin Hardin
- Into your kingdom, hasmukh amathalal
- High rise, hasmukh amathalal
- Before Death, Ajaeyy Raaj
- the toothless Tiger Dynasties, veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- The Spray, Akhtar Jawad
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)