Surreal, sleepy tangles
have you ever tried to remember
what your last thought is before you fall asleep?
i’ve heard people say
it’s about your smile.
well, for me, every time
i recollect the winding words that spin the web inside my head,
the last thread to string everything together
is a wonder about whether i exist or not.
sometimes the atoms in my nerves
feel neutral and non-existent.
there’s a small amount of certainty inside of me
by a cooing hum. when did
i become so comfortably numb?
every once in a while, i can feel
a shock of electricity
from a negative charge. maybe i am a selfish machine.
one that poisons its kiss so you’ll
only think of me. it’s so easy being mean.
my thoughts cannot be my own; i can barely
recall how i felt yesterday.
swear to you, i want to be real, but i am just
another imaginary variable
that can be accepted as an answer
because there is no real outcome
for the brain to understand. just like
the color pink: I am a bridge between
red and violet
since no real pigment is there.
just another filler for your lonely flowers.
i worry a lot that this is my last moment of life,
and i am just remembering everything, reliving.
a whole fraction of a second spread out thin
to feel like a lifetime.
my last thought before sleep
may not be
about your smile,
but more about what it stirs up when i feel it.
Sammi Ama's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Surreal, sleepy tangles by Sammi Ama )
- we are free to follow their rules. Is th.., jannella aryton
- Soul Sighter, michael walkerjohn
- I Don't Want To Be but I want to., Menkato Awomi
- Treasure Island, Akhtar Jawad
- I Love You- -II, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burkhawalli, Tumhe Kis Karke Paya Ki Tum.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Do Not Forget, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Bade Miyan, Cchote Miyan Aur Bukhawalli, Bijay Kant Dubey
- z, Vera Sidhwa
- (A) Bio-Environ-P0em, Nyein Way
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- My Wishes, Yasmin Rubayo
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow