Syria 11 - Sonnet for school incursions
Aleppo children hung their art of war
They and school proud survivors of its score
It showed their trauma without and within
Each knew life and death and chances were slim.
Pictures of terror became common place
Tattoos of distress were every child's face
Art as therapy defiance to war
Innocence expunged forever more.
The school unscathed announced an art display
Hoping to bring some normal to the day
Expressions of the suffering and pain
Survival despite their leaders disdain.
Bashers' planes shed bombs, perversion, adding
Hyperrealism to a school's incursion.
Danny Draper's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
/ɪnˈkɜʒən/ (say in'kerzhuhn)
noun an educational activity in which an artist, educator, etc., visits a school to give a demonstration, etc., of their specialty: a drama incursion.
[modelled on EXCURSION, with ex-, meaning `out', being replaced with in-]
Comments about this poem (Syria 11 - Sonnet for school incursions by Danny Draper )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- An Inexplicable Gift!, Monk E. Biz
- It is shame, gajanan mishra
- A praise or A Satire, Aftab Alam
- Perfection Beyond Yin Yang, Monk E. Biz
- Joint campaign, hasmukh amathalal
- Women of Tahrir Square, Abdullah alHemaidy
- Victory is ours, gajanan mishra
- Teacher, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- The Road is Full of Thorn,, Aftab Alam
- Do accept, hasmukh amathalal