Daniel Trevelyn Joseph
The year was 1949 or 50, I was four or five years old:
The place was near the well in our house in Zambropuram,
In Madurai. I am taking a long time having bath,
Mom comes in and asks why, I reply, 'I want to be fair like
Kiruba my cousin and so I am applying soap, hard on myself'!
Later in life I always did things excessively,
Read more books than in the syllabus,
Took more tablets to speed up the cure,
Did the exercises more often expecting faster effect.
If teacher said ten reps, I did 20 or at least 15.
Wife would comment that I did not have the virtue
Of moderation, and that I did things way beyond necessity.
As usual she is right, but then from childhood
I seem to have been like that and why change now?
Nearing the end of my seventh decade, I am doing
Structured Life Review and this is a reminiscence.
Just finished reading May Sarton the Journal of
A Solitude and felt the justice of Kathopanishad
Which says, 'The senses of the body ebb and flow~
That is their nature.
Knowing this, the wise do not lament their passing away.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tapering by Daniel Trevelyn Joseph )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- THE PRETTY SEA AND THE SWIMMING POOL الب.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Aemulus, Arik Fletcher
- Take it all it's entirely all for you baby, Mark Heathcote
- Confused Sea Gods, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- A Cookie Jar, Heather Burns
- Anger, Steve Gregory
- THERE MUST BE A CURFEW ON ALL CATS GLOBAL, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Coincidence is hope for a non-believer, Jorge Rolon
- Love's Expression Escorting Me Into a Nu.., wanderer sailor
- Receding From Depleting Beliefs, Lawrence S. Pertillar