Daniel Trevelyn Joseph
The year was 1949 or 50, I was four or five years old:
The place was near the well in our house in Zambropuram,
In Madurai. I am taking a long time having bath,
Mom comes in and asks why, I reply, 'I want to be fair like
Kiruba my cousin and so I am applying soap, hard on myself'!
Later in life I always did things excessively,
Read more books than in the syllabus,
Took more tablets to speed up the cure,
Did the exercises more often expecting faster effect.
If teacher said ten reps, I did 20 or at least 15.
Wife would comment that I did not have the virtue
Of moderation, and that I did things way beyond necessity.
As usual she is right, but then from childhood
I seem to have been like that and why change now?
Nearing the end of my seventh decade, I am doing
Structured Life Review and this is a reminiscence.
Just finished reading May Sarton the Journal of
A Solitude and felt the justice of Kathopanishad
Which says, 'The senses of the body ebb and flow~
That is their nature.
Knowing this, the wise do not lament their passing away.'
Daniel Trevelyn Joseph's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tapering by Daniel Trevelyn Joseph )
- Shortcuts, Ali Sabry
- Widow, Sylvia Plath
- - Please My Lady Just Give Me The Chance-, Ali Sabry
- Whitsun, Sylvia Plath
- - -I Love Your Pure Voice- -, Ali Sabry
- The Surgeon At 2 A.M., Sylvia Plath
- The Fearful, Sylvia Plath
- Vogelwijkkind, Madrason writer
- Incommunicado, Sylvia Plath
- - I sent three angels to your bed-, Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 9 - 1937)
Udiah (witness to Yah)