Tattoo (Mine) ....... [personal tattoo; end-of-life decision)
I suppose it’s been around for thousands of years:
‘inking’ pictures, designs, or words on skin...... from ankles to ears.
Hearts, and skulls, tigers, and snakes,
“MOM”, and swastikas........for goodness sakes!
Many are prominently placed and are often seen,
while others, noticed less often, are placed in places ‘obscene’.
Mine says NO CPR and lies beneath hair on my chest.
Someday it may help me to be quietly put to rest.
CPR: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
I guess it has its place in this age and nation,
but not for me.....I hope. I’ve lived long and well.
I’m ready to go, perhaps to Heaven, ....perhaps to Hell.
Encircling NO CPR are words over which Death can drool:
“Donate body to nearest medical school.”
A ‘med’ school is not near now, ......
but to an incinerator I’ll go, I vow.
I hope doctors honor my sincere-tattoo request,
and let my body slip into a long, sweet, and contented rest.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
the O in NO is a smile face.
Comments about this poem (Tattoo (Mine) ....... [personal tattoo; end-of-life decision) by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- How Do You?, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- My religion, gajanan mishra
- Self-centered, Somanathan Iyer
- Human Male, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- strange is the mindset!, Somanathan Iyer
- DREAMS........., Saturday Chikezie Promise
- For My Love, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- On pins and needles, gajanan mishra
- Soul's Poetry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Images Of Thought, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Prayer Before Birth, Louis Macneice
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(15 April 1958)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)