Christopher P. P. White
That Old Umbrella
When all that rain fell towards the earth
Like an almighty stream from the sky,
The only thing we both held onto was
That old umbrella.
We spent the time in each other's pockets
Like there was nobody and nothing else,
Only us and our contented souls at peace
Through the storm.
I look back to those moments and I laugh
Like the world isn't as hellish as I think it is
Because there were those moments that had us
Holding onto each other.
I don't accept that we gave up and lost touch
Like the empty promise of an open wound
Because we always held onto our soaking hands
In that heavy rain—
Fingers locked around that old umbrella,
Keeping our bodies dry and our lips soft.
Keeping our words clear and our intentions pure.
Keeping our promises true.
The storm subsided and the rain stopped pouring
And that old umbrella gathered dust
Like the excitement and the laughter and the good times.
Christopher P. P. White's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (That Old Umbrella by Christopher P. P. White )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(18 June 1945)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- In My Youth I Was a Tireless Dancer, Edward Merton Dorn
- I Miss You Intensely, Michael P. McParland
- By His name, hasmukh amathalal
- I Miss You 4, Michael P. McParland
- Dance of the Marionette, Raymond A. Foss
- I Miss You 3, Michael P. McParland
- windmill hill, lee fones
- I Miss You 2, Michael P. McParland
- My Daughter at 14, Christmas Dance, 1981, Maria Mazziotti Gillan
- I Miss You, Michael P. McParland