Lawrence S. Pertillar
That's Too Old School
Exposing one's imperfections,
To openly confess to address...
Upsets those idealistic.
With wishes to keep,
Their moralistic values of life...
Unaffected by a truth that abuses.
But confessions admitted,
Has never diminished the strength of this.
Only those committed to dismiss reality,
Are the ones who stay suppressed...
And seek the keeping of kept delusions,
To validate their unhappiness.
'Why do some pretend they are happy?
And all the time?
With nothing to show others the reason.'
~Maybe it's kept within themselves.~
How can anyone be that happy,
Without showing 'something' they possess? '
~Perhaps 'that' something they had,
To show others to address...
Was voluntarily repossessed,
And that has left them happy.~
Everybody knows you've got to show 'something',
To make people happy.'
For 'some' people,
It's not what they have to flaunt...
Or their ability to acquire bling,
That keeps them happy.~
'That's too old school for me.
I aint happy unless I'm impressing 'somebody'.
And they look at me with envy in their eyes.'
I would interpret that as 'craze'. Not envy.~
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (That's Too Old School by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Adolescence, Yohan Confectioner
- Stillness, Yohan Confectioner
- Time In History, George Egba
- Jadavpur University Campus, The Coffee H.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Nature To You, Yohan Confectioner
- Dreams Come, Yohan Confectioner
- ZZ Bomb Abroad. Spank At Home, Saiom Shriver
- Dreams Go, Yohan Confectioner
- All God's 792 Poems Are Free To Preach &.., Tom Zart
- Nevermore, Yohan Confectioner
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)